Tuesday 17 February 2015

Tetzlaff & Mendelssohn

SYDNEY SYMPHONY | Christian Tetzlaff, David Robertson
Schumann 1 & 2, Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
13.02.15, Sydney Opera House


In my first concert of the year I told myself I'll try and write short reviews of all the concerts I attend in 2015. So here goes, my first foray into reviewing concerts. I'll only comment on my observations of the Mendelssohn because I'm not familiar with the Schumann works, and the balance was a bit skewed for the first-half since I was sitting in the choir stalls.

Tetzlaff's Mendelssohn was original and energetic, immediately commanding control and attention within the first opening notes of his solo. His first movement was noticeably faster than the orchestra's anticipated tempo, however Robertson and the Orchestra quickly adapted to his tempo without a fuss. The faster, virtuosic passages seemed quite faster than the more "traditional" tempos, but both Tetzlaff and the orchestra were able to fit together.

The first and second movements were beautifully linked together by the bassoon solo, and Tetzlaff easiliy held the audience's attention with his soaring long phrases. The last movement was especially riveting to listen and watch, and it was clear that there was a strong connection between Tetzlaff, Robertson, and the orchestra.

The balance between the orchestra and soloist was just right (surprising considering the Concert Hall's infamous balance issues), and the orchestra's sound never felt restrained. At times, Tetzlaff sounded as though he was edging on roughness of tone to project, however none of the roughness was apparent in the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment